Monday, April 2, 2012

April 1: Cusco - Aqua Calientes



Amberley: We got up at 4:30 this morning and had breakfast then got in a taxi that picked us up and took us to a bus station where we boarded in a bus that drove through the city of Cusco in to the outlying suburban areas into the country. It was a nice two hours drive and some of us slept. We got to a small town, Ollantaytambo where we got on the Peru Rail. We sat in the back of our rail car following our seat numbers on the tickets. The railroad has windows everywhere including the ceiling. The train ride to Agua Calientes was stunning. We were always adjacent to the Urubamba River. It took about two hours to get to Agua Calientes. The town is in the middle of a deep valley with majestic peaks towering above the city. There are no cars, just the train! We checked in our hotel and walked around the city. It is a very small city that we can walk from one end to the other end in 10 to 15 minutes with some stores and places to get food. We got to shop around for more souvenirs. We had dinner together and it was a nice dinner. I want to tell you about a prank that Joi and Gary pulled on me today. They decided to hide NMSD’s camera as it was my turn to take pictures. I brought it with me to my room and I had a nap. After my nap I looked around for the camera and couldn't find it. I asked around and searched around but did not have any luck. I completely forgot about April Fool’s Day. I started to cry a little and get mad and that was when Joi and Gary said “Happy April Fool’s!” I wanted to strangle them. I am laughing about it now. I am so excited to see Machu Picchu tomorrow!





Group Picture in front of Peru Rail.


Urubamba River


Picture of the peaks through the ceiling windows inside the train.

Cadonia and Rosenda writing post cards to family members.Agua Calientes adjacent to the river. Aqua Calientes' main road, the railroad track. There are no cars in this town.